Monday, April 03, 2006
The TTC Knit-A-Long Spring Fling: May 13
Calling all knit rabble:
Saturday May 13th, 2006What is it?
The Spring Fling is a fantasmagorical day where fibre artists from acrossToronto gather for a day of "Knitting in Public (KIP) and Stash Enhancement Adventures."
There will be two starting points: the ever so elegant Passion Knit at Yonge and
From these points the knitters will take over any TTC vehicle we encounter, groove to spring tunes, knit, crochet and yes even spin, and set out in search of the perfect yarn at our city's best LYS, including Fab Haley's Knitomatic, Lettuce Knit with their spectacular Koigu collection, the Grande Dame of yarn stores Romni Wools, and end up at Nabe Fave the Naked Sheep in the Beaches where we will toast knitting and TO.
A TTC Knit-A-Long passport can be purchased for $10.00 at your
- A Knit Rabble Membership Card and button
- Map of Toronto Local Yarn Stores, and how to get there by TTC
- Great TTC knitting patterns with pictures
- Lists and lists of KIP friendly bars and restaurants
- Lyrics to the TTC Knit-A-Long Song
- Tips on TTC Knitting Etiquette
There will even be prizes for “First Finished Object”, “Most Original Object” and Wittiest Knitticism. Jen Hendricks won the Knit-a-Long’s Fall Crawl’s Knitticism prize with the quip: “We’re surrounded by $2000 worth of yarn and we’re still freezing our tits off!” (Hey we were all sitting on a patio and it was October!)
When is it?
Saturday May 13th, starting at 9 am
The North Team will meet at the Starbuck's at Yonge and Lawrence before heading off to Passion Knit and Knitomatic.
The West Team will meet at the Drake Cafe before heading to the Knit Cafe and Romni.
Both teams will meet up at Lettuce Knit in Kensington Market around lunchtime to eat, shop, knit, and perhaps even pick up some beads on Queen Street (remember Lily Chin’s Knit and Crochet with Beads?) before getting on the Queen car and heading off to the Naked Sheep in the Beach.This sounds great. How can I help?
As a knitter: tell your friends, we welcome crocheters and spinners too! Or volunteer – we will need people to act as route DJs and Route Captain to help with other logistics.
As a local official or union member; join us and learn how to knit, it’s a transformative experience.
As media: come join our event and see what a zany but civic minded bunch we are.
There are two ways to register for the TTC Knit-A-Long:
- Send an email to email@example.com, with the following information:
- Your name
- Your contact information (email/phone number)
- Which team you want to be on (West/North)
- UPDATE: Whether or not you will be attending the TTC Knit-A-Long dinner/wrap party (some brightly-lit, knit-friendly restaurant in the Beaches, exact location TBD)